Tuesday, December 16, 2008


Merry Christmas, have a wonderful New Year and best wishes from Birch Hollow
Christmas has always been an enchanted time of the year for this writer, and the winter has always been an inspiring season in which to compose. In my earlier newspaper days, I would set about to research and write the coming summer season copy for The Muskoka Sun, by early December, and for the first week of January I was into full production mode. Each year I produced between two and four major feature series which could run part of a summer season or extend from the 24th of May until Thanksgiving which meant about 24 weighty chapters. I worked at home the first years, in the late 1980's, because I had assumed by economic necessity, the role of "Mr. Mom," looking after our first son Andrew and then Robert at the onset of the 1990's. I welcomed being a writer-in-residence after a high stress ten year haul hustling copy from an over-crowded newsroom. My wife was able to return to her teaching job shortly after the birth of both lads and my home office was officially open between diaper changes and feeding....playtime at the park and bedlam at home. I learned quickly how to work amidst the chaos and as far as output I never received one complaint about quality or quantity from the publisher when it was time to haul the manuscripts up to The Herald-Gazette office on Bracebridge’s Dominion Street. While I made the publisher smile it made the typesetter nuts in this pre home-cumputer situation. I wore out a lot of typesetters in my day.
I had a nice neighborhood view in those years from our small brick home on lower Ontario Street just below the High School, where my wife taught in those days. It didn’t matter what time of year it was....the humble little abode was settled amidst trees and history and it was only a short jaunt down a small path from our backyard, ........ to the secondary school playing field, which offered a massive area for Andrew to run with our dog Alf. Second son Robert came several years later after we had moved to a similarly charming little homestead on Golden Beach Road near Bowyer’s Beach, on Lake Muskoka. This was also a fabulous retreat for any writer, being surrounded by a splendidly encroaching Muskoka woodland.
So here I am 22 years later, still pounding out the editorial copy, for a few still-loyal readers after all these decades, and yes, still acting as house-father and honorary "Roadie" for my lads’ music business here in Gravenhurst. Tonight for example, is the annual Christmas Variety Show for their guitar and drum students....and many talented musician friends at the Gravenhurst Opera House, a fundraiser for the local Salvation Army Food Bank. While some things have obviously changed over the years.....well, fundamentally things have remained family-themed.....whatever they get up to....we join in support....and they do the same when we find ourselves with an unruly project. While we have our critics out there....the "Who do you think they are" kind of naysayers....it hasn’t daunted us from our Walton-like commitment to help each other navigate the tricky turns and long hauls of life. Of this connection I am grateful and proud.
I have set aside much more time this year to pursue many other writing opportunities now that several other community projects have been successfully although reluctantly concluded. This year I plan on spending more time in composition and an equal share of time to be spent out on the antique hustings which has always been this writer’s best outlet.....to release the frustration built up trying to wordsmith my way out of a trillion log jams at this computer keyboard. You know it seems like ancient history when the keyboard I was tapping at, was an old beat up Underwood that weighed more than the Queen Mary’s anchor. I might finish a column at this keyboard and feel tired from sitting so long. In those days I finished a writing jag with black fingers......because I always had to adjust the ribbon, and physically exhausted from both repairs, adjustments and the energy needed to heavily impact those metal keys through the inkless ribbon and onto the white paper in the roll.....and then there were the "white-out" missions. Ah, those were the days.
I’m looking forward to this winter season holed-up in beautiful Muskoka which by early storms would suggest a long and evil period of snow, ice and bitter cold. For output, a long and cold winter will keep me at this keyboard on most days. A nice mild winter might have me spending many more hours wandering through the woodlands like the lost bard, here in the snow-laden haunts of dear old Birch Hollow.
Our family would like to extend Season’s Greetings to one and all, and trust you will enjoy a Happy and fulfilling New Year. Amidst all the turmoil surrounding us, the bad news on the economy and the many conflicts throughout the world.....it is the time of contemplation and restoration of faith, and a rekindling of goodwill and commitment to the cause of Peace on Earth. Have a safe and very Merry Christmas.

No comments: