Tuesday, December 07, 2010

AN INSPIRING VANTAGE POINT AT CHRISTMAS TIME

Today the wind howls over the landscape, wheezing through the evergreens around The Hollow, and huge clouds of snow have been exploded from the heavily burdened, overhanging boughs. The wind-driven snow is hurtful to the exposed face, and to stand out in the open here at The Bog, invites frostbite to the extremities of nose and brow. Yet when I’m able to find a sheltered spot, between evergreens on the embankment, like looking through a window, all seems relatively scenic and non-threatening. When the wind changes however, the sting of ice and air makes one cower a wee bit beneath cloak and scarf.
Throughout the Christmas season I escape here, down this narrow, awkwardly tramped path, like Robert Frost’s famous poem, about stopping by the woods on a snowy evening, and finding solace in the heart of nature. From childhood I have been stopping in Robert Frost’s poetic forest. It was the poem that saved me at school. It was printed in our textbook with accompanying art work, and when I wasn’t looking longingly out the window, and planning my escape, I was finding items that made me feel the outside sensation of life.....despite being trapped by lecture and chalk-board protocol. It’s how I came to adore art-work by the Canadian Group of Seven artists, and why I found verses from the great bards so liberating. I still think of Robert Frost every time I visit this place in the winter months. I think he would have found something more to write about, if like my own solitary vigil, he stood here in this pleasant, protective alcove of pine and cedar to watch this manifestation of snow and wind.
As a young writer I used to disappear into the winterscape frequently by ski and snowshoe, and it was the source of inspiration garnered for so many short stories and feature projects for the local press. I adored solitude, as I do now.
During the Christmas season, when the pace of the days gets a little hectic, my wife always knows where to find me.....with dog Bosko, celebrating the season in my own quiet way. Looking out onto this beautiful place right now, it isn’t hard to be filled with the merriment for the season, and a passion for experience. Merry Christmas.

No comments: